We all want more followers, more likes, more comments, more shares on our social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & others). Why? Because numbers make us look and feel good. It impresses other people and quite frankly, it makes us feel like the work we’re doing is actually working. But, the million dollar question is, “How can I increase my followers and engagement?” One of the most effective ways to do this is by making social media a part of your company’s events. Read about five easy ways to do that.
1. Create a hashtag. The hashtag for your event should be specific (vs generic). You want to able to find all the posts with this hashtag. If you use a generic hashtag, it will be hard to find the posts from your guests. If your event features speakers, be sure they have the hashtag so they can include it in their posts. Also include the hashtag on your flyer.
2. Post a sign that clearly tells your guests how to find you on social media and what you would like them to do. Be sure it is designed by a professional graphic designer (don’t skimp on this) and make it a minimum of 20×30. The quantity of signs posted is dependent on the size of the room. One should be posted at the entry point to the event for guests.
3. Include a social media segment in your program. Write this into your program. When it’s included, you’re telling your guests that social media is important to you. Do whatever you would like with this time, but make it fun. Prizes or some type of special attention always make guests feel great. The goal is to get them to follow you on your platforms and to post/tweet during the event which helps to draw the attention of their friends to what you’re doing.
- Work the room. Assign a team member or a few team members to walk around and engage with your guests specifically about social media. Be personable, warm and friendly; the conversation should be focused on the objective of your social media segment. Encourage selfies and connecting on all the platforms. Your signs plant the seed and provide the information and your team will close the deal.
5. Re-post and comment. Assign a team member to watch your social media platforms. Search by the platforms and look for anyone who has tagged you/your event. Comment on the posts and also re-post them in real time (during the event). It’s a great form of appreciation, it encourages those who haven’t yet gotten active, and it leads new followers right to you.
Taking these steps can feel a little uncomfortable if you’re not used to it. However, I promise you, when done correctly, you will see an increase in your followers. It’s also a very rewarding feeling to interact with your guests when they’re in good spirits and having a great time. Building a quality audience is priceless.
These are simple, basic things to get you started. There are lots of other fun things to do. What are some things you’ve done to get your guests active on social media?
Suzzette Turnbull is a social media marketer and trainer who helps students and clients use their social media platforms to gain more followers and build a quality audience that buys. Check out two upcoming trainings here.